This project has laid strong foundations for the development of an Advocacy Support Service within Willowbank. The training was facilitated by Suzanne McStravick to provide disabled people to Self-Advocate, consider their role as a Peer Advocate and/or work as a Group Advocate.
The training was attended by 8 Disabled People and completed by 6. The sessions covered
- Ground Rules and an Introduction to Advocacy,
- The Role & Skills of an Advocate,
- Passive & Aggressive Behaviours,
- Legislation including UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities & Human rights Act,
- Developing a Case and Negotiation Skills.
The group also attended the Southern Health & Social Care Trust “Promoting Public Involvement” Event in Craigavon on 16th April.
We would like to thank Awards For All for supporting this worthwhile project and we look forward to providing a Peer Advocacy service from Willowbank.
Have a browse through the slide show to see some pictures from this project.